Home Latest News Thousands of refugees sleep rough, without food, after Moria fire - Al...

Thousands of refugees sleep rough, without food, after Moria fire – Al Jazeera English


Countless numbers of refugees slept tough on the Greek island of Lesbos for a next evening after a fireplace razed the country’s biggest camp to the ground, sending crowds fleeing but with nowhere to go.

People slept on roadsides, in supermarket parking heaps and in fields throughout the island, which was at the forefront of the European migrant crisis in 2015-2016.

There had been about 13,000 folks in the camp.

Tuesday night’s inferno at Moria despatched 1000’s speeding to save their life, minimizing the camp – notorious for its inadequate dwelling circumstances – to a mass of smouldering metal and melted tent tarpaulin.

A second fire broke out on Wednesday night, destroying what tiny was still left.

Migrants sleep on the road near the Moria refugee camp on the northeastern island of Lesbos, Greece, Thursday, Sept. 10, 2020. A second fire in Greece's notoriously overcrowded Moria refugee camp dest

Men and women slumber on the street in close proximity to the Moria refugee camp on the northeastern island of Lesbos, Greece [Petros Giannakouris/The Related Press]

Desperate people, many with younger little ones, used Wednesday evening in the open, some without tents or fundamental bedding. Some of the homeless trekked to the nearest villages for drinking water and other supplies.

Police reinforcements were introduced in to reduce refugees and migrants from reaching the island’s key town of Mytilene, confining them to fields and roadsides.

8-calendar year-outdated Congolese lady Valencia, who was barefoot, gestured to a Reuters reporter that she was hungry and questioned for a biscuit. “Our house burned, my sneakers burned, we really don’t have food stuff, no drinking water.”

Each she and her mother Natzy Malala, thirty, who has a newborn, slept on the side of the road.

“There is no meals, no milk for the newborn,” Natzy Malala claimed.

Officers have declared a 4-month unexpected emergency on Lesbos and flown in more riot law enforcement.

The migration ministry reported it would acquire “all essential actions” to guarantee that susceptible groups and family members had shelter, but these were being anticipated to be achieved with rigid resistance from locals.

Authorities had been now at loggerheads with locals more than options to switch Moria with a shut reception centre, which Lesbos inhabitants fear would necessarily mean 1000’s of asylum seekers remaining completely.

Municipalities ended up at odds around the handling of the predicament, claimed Costas Moutzouris, governor of the Northern Aegean. “There is no selection. It’s up in the air,” he told Reuters.

Refugees and migrants find shelter in the woods following a fire at the Moria camp on the island of Lesbos, Greece, September 10, 2020. REUTERS/Alkis Konstantinidis

Refugees and migrants uncover shelter in the woods next the fire at the Moria camp [Alkis Konstantinidis/Reuters]

The migration ministry claimed a ferry had been despatched to accommodate hundreds of people in advance of the predicted arrival of European Commission Vice-President Margaritis Schinas to inspect ailments on the island.

Al Jazeera’s John Psaropoulos, reporting from Lesbos, said the circumstance was dire for the government.

“It is difficult to see how the governing administration is heading to settle so quite a few countless numbers of [refugees] who have been left shelterless and homeless.

“We are informed that three ships are less than way to property countless numbers of the most vulnerable individuals with modest young children, but that will likely even now go away some countless numbers uncared. There is a large dilemma for the reason that the municipality does not have the infrastructure to offer for them.”

A authorities official who declined to be named reported that sheltering refugees and migrants on boats was not a safe option and was sending the erroneous information to migrants who would want to leave Lesbos.

The fireplace introduced new tragedy to the refugees who experienced been residing in Moria. The camp was under quarantine limitations because of to an outbreak of COVID-19 last week.

Authorities are investigating irrespective of whether Tuesday night’s fires had been started off intentionally just after COVID-19 exams led to the isolation of 35 refugees.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

Google’s ‘Hold for Me’ Assistant feature appears first on new Pixel phones – Engadget

When the Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G arrive, they’ll include an early preview of Google’s new feature for the Phone app, the Duplex-powered “Hold for Me.” Mentioned during the Launch Night presentation and explained in a blog post, it lets Google Assistant wait around and wait for someone to pick up when a business…

Watch ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic Moderate Presidential Debate in ‘We’re All Doomed’ Video – Rolling Stone

“Weird Al” Yankovic teamed up with the Gregory Brothers for a comedic musical take on Tuesday night’s presidential debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden with their video for the song “We’re All Doomed.” Yankovic and the Gregory Brothers’ satirical rendering accurately summed up the general consensus following the debate: “We’re all doomed,” Yankovic yells…

Previewing LeBron, Lakers taking on the Heat | NBA Finals | Hoop Streams – ESPN

Sorry for the interruption. We have been receiving a large volume of requests from your network. To continue with your YouTube experience, please fill out the form below.

Pixel 5, Chromecast with Google TV, Nest Audio: All of today’s Google announcements – CNET

Juan Garzon/CNET Last week Amazon dropped its annual armada of new products on us -- now it's Google's turn. The company's Launch Night In stream Wednesday follows its unveiling of the Pixel 4A budget phone in August. That event confirmed the existence of its next flagship phone, the Pixel 5, and the Pixel 4A 5G. They were launched today, along…

Disney World layoffs: 6,700 non-union employees are losing their jobs – Orlando Sentinel

About 6,700 Walt Disney World non-union employees are losing their jobs because of the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic, according to an alert the Walt Disney Co. sent to the state. The notice is the first indication of how many Orlando employees are part of the massive layoffs the company announced Tuesday after the market…