The British isles is going to the polls for the country’s 3rd general election in significantly less than five many years.
The contest, the initial to be held in December in nearly a hundred a long time, follows all those in 2015 and 2017.
Polling stations in 650 constituencies across England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland opened at 07:00 GMT.
Immediately after the polls shut at 22:00 GMT, counting will begin straight away. Most final results are because of to be introduced in the early hours of Friday morning.
A full of 650 MPs will be decided on beneath the initial-past-the-post procedure used for common elections, in which the applicant who secures the most votes in each individual particular person constituency is elected.
In 2017, Newcastle Central was the initial constituency to declare, asserting its result about an hour following polls shut.
Elections in the United kingdom typically acquire spot each and every four or 5 a long time. But, in October, MPs voted for the 2nd snap poll in as numerous decades. It is the very first wintertime election since 1974 and the initially to consider location in December given that 1923.
Anyone aged 18 or over is suitable to vote, as very long as they are a British citizen or qualifying citizen of the Commonwealth or Republic of Ireland and have registered to vote. Registration closed on 26 November.
Abide by election evening on the BBC
- Check out the election night distinctive withHuw Edwardsfrom 21:55 GMTon BBC A single, the BBC News Channel, iPlayer
- As polls shut at 22:00, the BBC will publish anexit pollthroughout all its platforms, such as @bbcbreaking and @bbcpolitics
- The BBC Information website and application will deliver youlive coverage and the most current assessmentall over the night
- We will aspect outcomes for every constituency as they appear in witha postcode lookup, map and scoreboards
- Comply with @bbcelection foreach individual constituency consequence
- From 21:45 GMT,Jim NaughtieandEmma Barnettwill host dwell election night time coverage on BBC Radio four, with BBC Radio five live becoming a member of for a simulcast from midnight
Particulars about where by to vote can be identified on the Electoral Fee web site and are also shown on polling cards sent to households.
Individuals do not need a polling card to be able to vote but will need to give their name and address at their community polling station. Men and women can only vote for 1 prospect or their ballot paper will not be counted.
In advance of the poll, the elections watchdog has reminded voters that using selfies and other pictures inside of polling stations is not permitted and may perhaps be a breach of the law.
Quite a few individuals have by now place a cross next to the title of their favoured candidate by voting by put up – extra than seven million men and women utilised a postal vote two yrs in the past.
Individuals who used for a postal vote but have still to return it to their Electoral Place of work ought to do so by 22:00. Alternatively, they can hand it into their local polling station by the shut of polls.
In accordance to the BBC’s climate forecast, Thursday will be a soaked day in several elements of the place, with highs of five levels Celsius in Edinburgh, nine in Cardiff, seven in Belfast and 8 in London.